Friday, January 7, 2011

My new hobby

So, I discussed the other day with my sweet husband Kelly that I felt like I needed to get a hobby. So, I decided that blogging about the my love of the National Park System and the great outdoors would be a great hobby. I've only visited a few, but absolutely loved every one that I have visited.

Why do I love the parks and the outdoors so much? Well, I have a love of the natural world. From a very young age I was intrigued by the world around me. As a result, I was constantly looking at things under the microscope, collecting bugs in jars, and reading books about Zoology. I also grew up with an outdoors man as a father. He had no boys, so he took his little girls hunting and fishing with him. One of my favorite memories is a fishing trip with him down in Venice, Louisiana where we went camping and fishing. I caught my first redfish on that trip.

Eventually, I grew up and went to college. I had to major in my favorite subject, Biology. I went on to get my Masters of Science in Biology, and now I am pursuing my PhD in Biology at the University of Maryland. Along the way I met the love of my life, who happens to share a love of the outdoors with me. We are always hiking and planning camping trips. It has been great fun and I look forward to sharing this with you!!

P.S.  Because I am such a science nerd, other topics may pop up occasionally.

No comments:

Post a Comment